Greens Committee Minutes

Date – Thursday 20th September 2018
Attendees Andy Booth - Dave Crampton – Gary Pritchard -

1. Apologies – John Whitely

2. Previous minutes discussed, and Actions Schedule updated. 

  • The action around Air2G2 was discussed. This was completed on 13th and 14th September at a cost of £750 covering all 18 greens over the two days. Minimal disruption was caused to golfers as the work was largely carried out between groups of players.  In addition to the 19 greens a test was also conducted on the middle section of the first tee.  We will now monitor the affect of the work which will hopefully assist root growth, drainage and thatch management.
  • The practice green remains a concern which whilst relatively small and poorly located away from any drying wind is surrounded by trees to offer only limited sunlight and suffers through excessive use.  To address this work remains ongoing to develop the old practice green beside the pro shop as a “winter” facility to enable some time out and work to be undertaken on the summer practice green.  This will include roping off the summer green on occasions during the winter particularly during wet periods or times of frost. Action Dave C to oversee
  • Costings for the refurbishment of the practice nets were taken to the Board of Directors.  This is not yet approved and refurbishment at £1549 as quoted will await finance.  Action Andy B to address
  • Responses from members re the willow tree to the front of the 8th tee have been limited.  Generally, they are in favour of this tree remaining with if necessary some pruning to enable yellow tee golfers to clear the hazard if it becomes more intrusive. Situation to be monitored next year and cut back if required.
  • The course has again been inspected by our engaged H&S consultants.  We now await the update report although the “hot de-brief” identified many positive developments in respect of working practices and course issues.

3. Green keepers update:

The months of August and September are always taxing as this is often the height of the annual leave period with invariably one member of staff absent throughout the week. Therefore, much of the green staff focus has been on maintaining the course rather than addressing specific work. 

Furthermore, the continued dry weather has again affected our greens in particular.  Thus far this season we have now used 5750 cubic meters of our allotted allowance leaving only 750 cubic meters remaining to support the course during the remainder of the season. The 2018 season has seen us use more water and chemical wetting agent than every before at NGC.

The ponds around the course remain very low reflecting the dry summer and low water table. This is particularly evident on the 8th and 12th holes where golfers have been able to walk onto the two islands where normally there would be two to three feet of water.

The greens cut level has now been raised slightly which together with the recent application of fertilizer and the aeration provided by the Air2G2 has seen them appear lusher than in recent weeks whilst maintaining a healthy speed. We plan to hollo core the surfaces at the end of October which will hopefully allow golfers to continue enjoying the surfaces for a few more weeks before the season concludes.

Tees have suffered more than many areas this season largely because of the exceptionally dry summer and our limited options to water and thereby aid growth.  If we had done so then we would undoubtably have run out of water for our greens and fertilizing without water would only result in further burning of the surfaces.  Work has already started to restore the tees with the application of fertilizer and over seeding which will be followed up with verti cutting when conditions permit.

A digger has been booked to commence winter work around the course clearing our ditches and also to start work on the waterfall from the 18th pond.  Many thanks to Dave Finch for the supply of the waterfall slabs and John Sheard for the additional stones to surround the structure and help present the feature.

Leaves are once again becoming an issue around the course as autumn and winter approach.  Steps to address this are underway when we hope to have access to a mechanical collector to support the existing work of our green staff with blowers and rough cutter equipment.

Finally, the hedges around the course have been cut by our usually local farmer.  Feedback from both golfers and public using the rights of way around the course has been positive.

 

4. Professional update

Gary advised the meeting that feedback from members and guests remains positive about the course

The Yorkshire Golf Union assessment of the course SSS has taken place and we now await their formal report.

 

5. John W update

Nothing raised

 

6. Greens Director Update 

Feedback from members regarding the course remains positive.  Minor complaints continue in respect of bunkers where in some instances rakes have been stolen and require regular replacement although in many instances even where rakes exist some golfers fail to repair their footmarks to the detriment of those playing later in the day.

7. Verbal requests from members.

None received

8. Emails from members

None received

9. AOB

  • Our Captain Mr Dean Mountain who attended the meeting advised us of his impending work to install additional distance markers on the course.
  • Discussions also took place in respect of options to “rotate” holes used in club competitions over the winter thereby easing some of the footfall on the usual 1to 13 plus 18th holes.  Less footfall it was agreed helps reduce stress on the green surface, reduces the likelihood of disease and enable the greens to remain in a healthier condition.  Action Gary P to consider and make recommendations

 

10. Date and time of next meeting. 10am Thursday 18th October 2018