Greens Committee Minutes

Date - Wednesday 4th November 2017

Attendees Andy Booth - Dave Crampton - Gary Pritchard - John Whitely

1. Apologies- None

2. Previous minutes discussed and Actions Schedule updated.

  • Course furniture to be costed i.e. bins, ball washer and seat from carry forwards funds Action Dave C
  • The previously designed members survey was placed on hold pending a club meeting arranged with the English Golf Union who raised concerns any such survey might generate largely negative comments if undertaken in winter. This dilemma was discussed and it was agreed that the purpose of the survey was to obtain members wishes for improvement and that negative responses would be beneficial. Survey to be implemented soon and a further a further survey date identified either 12 or 18 months later for comparison. Action Andy B to implement.
  • It was agreed that the astro turf area and adjacent grass beside the 10th Tee and half way house has become scruffy. Action Dave C to look at options to enhance appearance.
  • Aerial views of the course have been obtained depicting one or two holes per A3 sheet. To take the issue of tree density forward it was agreed that each member of the committee would be provided with a copy in which individual copse areas would be have identified together with their approximate size, number of trees therein and species where known. From these maps we are to identify tree areas into minimal maintenance (e.g. left of 2nd tee) phased maintenance (e.g. right of 3rd fairway) and full maintenance (e.g. left of 18th fairway) Action 1. Dave C to prepare copies and notes for committee Action 2 All to identify individual views on holes.
  • Tree safety report from Wakefield Council. Two contractors have been identified already. One attending 5/1/17 and the other 12/1/17 to provide estimates for work required. Action Dave C to retain estimates and identify third possible contractor.
  • Trees to the left on 11th before pond to be cut back allowing better view of water hazard ongoing Action Dave C to manage within routine course work where possible.
  • Work has been undertaken on some of the neediest winter tee mats as required. It was suggested that these should last at least this winter and probably the next with replacement mats for all 18 holes costing between £3500 and £4000. Action Andy B to include in future discussions with finance director.
  • Reduction in Blue Tee usage. A meeting has taken place between the Greens Director and Competitions Chair with a proposal put forward for an increase from 16 of 112 to 22 of 112 competitions next year to be played from white tees. Action Andy B to take proposal with Comps Chair to next Board Meeting.
  • Work has commenced in thinning some of the lower branches from trees between 3rd and 15th along the fairway and is to continue around the 15th green. Area beneath to be cut initially to one extra width (96 inch) and potentially two widths.
  • Work using the hired digger has been undertaken on the stream to the 1st wherever possible. A longer term solution to the silting of the pond and need to divert or “S-bend” the stream was discussed but with an estimated cost beyond this years budget.

3. Green keepers update

  • Work on the blue tee on the 1st has been completed and work on the 9th is almost complete with turf to be laid within the next week subject to weather. These tees will then be monitored as spring develops and throughout the upcoming season for wear.
  • New drainage has been completed on the left of the 3rd green and to the rear of the 4th. Filled at this time with small stones. To be top dressed and seeded in spring as required.
  • Posts and rope have been utilised to the left of the 3rd green and turf laid on the bald patch walk off area.
  • Work has commenced on a path to the left of the 5th tee. This will be extended when time and funds permit the purchase of further materials.
  • A digger has been hired and used throughout the course to clear ditches and help maintain the flow of top water from the course
  • Work is ongoing on the 8th greenside bunker which has been raised, has had a new lip built, and bunker base commenced. In total 50 tonnes of top soil has been placed in the bunker to raise its base and facilitate a better run off for the drainage pipe to the nearby ditch.
  • Extensive fungicide spaying has been undertaken to help address the ongoing disease to greens which has been made worse by the mild weather. This problem has been identified across many of our local courses.
  • Greens have been spiked almost daily using 300mm x 13mm solid tines to help address drainage and allow frost to reach further into the green and break up unwanted thatch.
  • Lawn sand is to be applied to the greens next week to help address the build up of moss and to enhance the visual appearance of the greens.
  • Work has commenced on the right hand side greenside bunker on the 4th to replace the drainage pipe and re shape the edges to help reduce repeated floods.
  • Local farmer approached re cutting of hedges on course e.g. rear of 1st green. Unable to undertake work however several other potential sources identified. Awaiting responses and costs.
  • A request has been made that consideration be given to the Ladies Section hosting a Leeds and District Event in February be afforded a “no mats” status for the day. It was agreed that whilst this could be possible should weather conditions permit any decision on this should only be made nearer the time when course conditions ae known / more accurately forecast. Furthermore as a “working principle” if the course is being played by members from mats then this rule should be implemented for area competitions.

4. Professional update

  • Members have identified the need to clarify and ideally simplify course conditions particularly on competition dates. It was agreed that key to this issue is the relationship between Greens Staff and the Pro shop. It was agreed that prior to updating the recorded message Greens Staff would liaise with the Pro shop and agree a state of play for the day based on course conditions at that time and the prevailing weather forecast. Only then should the web site, entrance hall TV and recorded message be changed. Furthermore, it was agreed that in respect of bunkers the status should be simplified to in play, blue stake rule or out of play. Action Dave C & Gary P to ensure staff are aware and liaison takes place.

5. John W Update

  • No issues brought forward.

6. Greens Director Update

  • The winter tee on the 18th has been the subject of numerous complaints in that this presents the most difficult tee shot on the course in cold winter air and is longer than the summer course. It was agreed to move the tee forward to a less daunting location. Action Dave C to identify new location options.
  • An offer has been received from a member to sell astro turf to the club. This was discussed and it was identified that if appropriately priced this could be utilised around several locations including bridges. Action Andy B to chase member for possible costs.
  • It was suggested that the seats on the 4th and 8th would benefit from flagging or similar as there have become muddy holes where feet would rest. Action Dave C to include in schedule of work when possible
  • Initial discussion has taken place with the Finance Director regarding next years budget and potential major course costs over the next 10 years. Dave C has prepared a schedule of the main machinery replacement programme and other significant course costs and is finalising an initial proposal for the 2017/18 basic budget requirements. Once complete Andy B & Dave C to take to Finance. Action Dave C & Andy B to finalise and take to Finance.

 

7. Verbal requests from members.

  • A request was received from a member asking if work to install sprinklers on the 10th tee was to be considered. It was agreed that plans for the provision of sprinklers was included in the original build and that although these had not been required on that tee in the two years since its use began sprinklers would be beneficial should 2017 prove to be a long hot summer. Action Dave C to identify a suitable time to install sprinklers.

 

8. Emails from members

  • An email was received from a member requesting that consideration be given to reducing the size / number of bunkers for the drive on the 6th. This it was suggested is unfair to older / less able players who struggle to clear the ditch only to face two fairway bunkers. It was agreed that this is a legitimate complaint and although work on that particular bunker is not scheduled at this time consideration of this should be made when next looking at bunker management. Action Andy B to email member with update.
  • An email was received requesting that on frosty mornings salt be applied to tee mats to minimise slipping. It was identified that salt and similar substances would increase the rate at which mats rot and should not be used. Action Andy B to advise sender.
  • An email was received from a member questioning the need to remove trees between the 3rd and 15th fairways. This it was agreed is necessary and something which should / could be undertaken throughout the course. Trees in that particular stretch number in excess of 200 total and without management many of which will soon be interwoven at leaf level causing damage to the trees themselves and preventing grass growth beneath. Furthermore within this particular area there are numerous Oaks and other similar long life (300 year plus) trees with the potential to grow to over 30 meters in height. Looking to the future if these larger trees are to be the “hazard” then many of the smaller trees need to be harvested.
    It was however noted that to some this level of harvesting may have seen excessive and communication should be clear during the next Greens Update. Action Andy B to update member and ensure a fuller explanation id given during the next Greens Update.

9. AOB

  • Etiquette of golfers on course discussed. In particular failing to rake bunkers, repair pitch marks, replace divots, littering and speed of play. Much of which impacts on the presentation and playing experience of the course. To address this it was agreed that the Head Pro should look to introduce a regular “etiquette” advise element within his web site area.
    Action Gary P to identify suitable video clips for use on club web site

10. Date and time of next meeting.

  • 4.pm Wednesday 22nd February (May be subject to change)

 

 

 

Actions

Owner

Update

4th path drainage channel to be cleared

Dave C

Complete

Ditch to rear of 6th green requires attention

Dace C

Complete

Email to members advising re verti draining 14/11/16 and need to walk that hole

Gary P

Complete

Winter Mats in need of repair. Also to obtain replacement costing estimate.

Dave C

Complete

Repair work to blue tee areas 1 and 9

Dave C

Complete

Re dig slurry pit to right of 1st hole re 18th pond and stream silting over

Dave C

Complete

Photo opportunities re ongoing work

Dave C

Complete

Pilot  “grid force” to help minimise footfall wear around bridges

Dave C

Left bridge to 1st To be piloted asap

Course signage particularly green to next tee and furniture e.g bins, seats

Dave C

Ongoing

10th tee area.  Previous posts installed to prevent wear and tear near wall end have been removed.  To be replaced with more substantial version

Dave C

Ongoing

Ordinance survey type map of course to be provided to Greens Members for consideration re tree coverage

All

Ongoing

Tree safety around course awaiting private expert report.

Dave C

Ongoing (2 estimates scheduled)

Pilot semi rough cut on 15th fairway using old fairway mower.  Pilot additional fringe cut to 14th Green using same mower

Dave C

Ongoing. (spring)

Trees to left of 11th before pond to be trimmed back

Dave C

Ongoing

Complete members course questionnaire and provide to membership

Andy B

Ongoing To be issued Jan 2017

Videos to help enhance golfers awareness of basic etiquette to be used on club web site

Gary P

Ongoing

Reduction in use of blue tee areas for all competitions and increase in use of white course

Andy B

Ongoing – Proposals to be taken to BOD for consideration

Rough cutting options within tree areas to be identified Between 15th and 3rd fairways and to side of 15th Green

Dave C

Ongoing – within winter work programme

Options to enhance area to side of 10th tee / half way house

Dave C

Consider options

Budget estimates for 2017/18 season and projections for major expenses over next 10 years to be identified and taken to Finance for consideration.

Dave C & Andy B

Ongoing

Monitoring of membership updates re course status and liaison between Greens staff / Pro shop

Dave C & Gary P

Ongoing

Greens update to further explain the need to manage tree areas and maintain grass levels in playing areas.

Andy B

Ongoing

Installation of sprinklers on 10th tee

Dave C

Ongoing

Benches on 4th and 8th to have firm bases installed to prevent muddy areas

Dave C

Ongoing