|Coaching Corner - Don't hit down with your irons!
Whilst I was learning to teach golf one of the myths we were taught was
"Hit down to make the ball go up"
This could have a detrimental effect on your game and how well you strike and the direction you hit your irons.
Have a look at the picture of Tiger above. Notice the blur of his hands. Notice how they are moving UP through impact.
Hitting down on the ball can cause the following:
- Slow the club speed
- Reduce our ability to square the clubface
- Reduce the width of the clubhead arc – creating strike inconsistency
- Create less consistency with the swing path
- Reduce our ability to release the club, causing a low launch and reducing the bounce of the club
- Create a smaller margin for error regarding ground strike
One of my favourite drills is to hit irons of a high tee, this encourages a great shallow hit which in turn will help with direction, strike and distance.
To hit better irons feel your hands and body working up through impact and please don't keep your head down!!!!